Tuesday, August 31, 2010

(Not your usual) Vacation Photo Album - Jersey Shore edition

As we do every year, dear daughter and I headed to the New Jersey Shore to spend a week with Grandma and Grandpa, aunts, uncles and cousins.  This album includes some of my favorite shots, and while not exactly the family photo album and vacation postcards,  it somehow tells a story about my life.



Sometimes I wonder who is that person driving that car with the adult and kiddie bikes strapped on the back.  Loaded down with luggage & groceries, sand toys & beach chairs.  Going to the beach with the masses on I-95 for that one week vacation in August - the middle class American family rite of passage.  I have an out-of-body experience when I see this picture - it's me, but it's not me, too.

Wawa!  It's a Philly thing.  An annual pit stop.  Italian hoagies (with oil & vinegar - never mayo - on an Amoroso roll), Herr's chips, TastyKake Butterscotch Krimpets.  Ice-cold Lemonade-Iced Tea.  Vacation has started.

Contemplating the "thin black line" of the horizon.  Plastics: Made in China.



And from those dark swells, a sea monster emerged.
Boardwalk Rides - more summer traditions.  I love the pop of the colors here, and more so, the adolescent boys, caught unaware - aloof & chillin'.

This is my favorite ride. I still love swings at the playground.  This ride turns swinging into flying.  Sheer joy.


I love the dock, behind the house where we stay, at all times of day, in all kinds of weather.
This year, Dear Daughter, aka The World's Newest Swimmer, summoned the courage to jump off the dock. 


Arts:  Crayola Day-Glo paint and black Sharpie marker on seashell.

Business: Entrepreneurial daughter sets up alternative to the lemonade stand, selling painted seashells to passers-by.

Philanthropy:  All proceeds are donated to a charitable cause (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia).

Another gorgeous dinner at sunset on the back porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...