Friday, February 18, 2011

Urban Village

Capitol Hill in DC is the most wonderful neighborhood.  It's historic houses; small commercial hubs of indepenedent businesses; pocket parks; and public transport compose an idyllic urban village.  Our city councilmember calls it a livable, walkable community.   I call it home.

This week, the Washington Post did a feature on the Eastern Market and Barracks Row districts of the neighborhood - both within walking distance of my house, and the locale of my most frequented haunts.  Among the featured businesses were some of my favorites, and some not so much.  Here's my take on the WaPo's take:

Acqua al 2:  Looks and feels like Italy, especially in the spring and summer when the cafe tables are outside.  The menu is authentic, if not pricey and fairly meat-centric.  It just makes me want to be an Italian wino.  An especially lovely ambiance.

Capitol Hill Books:  Of course, I love book stores, and the more independent the better.  But I'm scared of this one.  In this 100+ year old 2-story rowhouse, the books are stacked everywhere, two deep, one-hundred high, and near collapse.  Unfortunately, it feels like a claustrophobic firetrap to me.  I understand its appeal, and I want to love it more.

Montmartre:  My favorite petit French restaurant, and where I had the most gorgeous 40th birthday lunch - outside, alone, and completely content.  It's also wonderful for a meal a deux. The article mentions Seventh Hill next door, and by the same owners, where Anthony seriously spins spins some serious pizza dough, and I sit at the counter taking it all in.

Peregrine:  Amazing coffee, made with the care and respect it deserves.  I so enjoy getting a real cappuccino with richly spun foam.  The music tends to pulse a bit, and this together with free wireless, and fueled by the wired coffee, tends to give it a high greying hipster quotient.  Sometimes, I feel a little uncool there, but still just cool enough to get it.  And I always, always, always run into someone I know there.

Hill's Kitchen:  My shop of kitchen bliss.  I sometimes go in just to walk through and fondle the whisks and Peugeot pepper grinders.  I always try to buy one little something, to support the shop.  Leah, the owner, is barely 30, grew up in the neighborhood, and is somewhat of a local hero.  Seriously, if I run into her at Tunnicliff's Tavern or Seventh Hill (as I have on several occaisons), she is surrounded by adoring kitchen junkies 10+ years her senior.  Though I'm a huge fan, I never approach - it must be hard to be a local celebrity, I want her to be able to finish her beer in peace.

Ted's Bulletin: Diner-ish, comfort food with bar and a bakery.  I generally like the vibe, but milkshakes and chicken-fired steak are not really my thing.

Belga Cafe:  Real-life Belgian food.  It came before and is more upscale and with a wider menu than the hip, but also delish Granville Moore's on H Street NE.  I love the mussels and fries of course, but also their steak and the cool, savory tomato sorbet that melts its way into my salad.  It's also where I greatly enjoy a perfect Delerium Tremens - my favorite Belgain ale.

The Fridge:  Never been.  Must, must, must check it out!

Lola's Barracks Bar and Grill:  A younger crowd.  I think I've only been once, but very glad to have it in the mix.

Homebody:  I am a homebody, and I like any good home store.  Homebody is just such a store, and I give it props just for that.  But I've never bought anything here, the selection feels too limited to meet whatever it is I search that day.  Lots of great stuff, but nothing for me to buy.

The Ugly Mug:  A great bar, with bar food, and a bar crowd.  Most crowded around baseball games (not too far from Nationals stadium).  This where my au pair and her au pair friends hang out (or the Hawk and Dove).  I'm happy its there for her.

Stitch DC:  An intimate store with the finest, most beautiful of yarns - cashmere, mohair - in the most gorgeous array of colors from heathered pinks to bright lemons.  I once took a knitting class here - which resulted in 2 scarves before I retired from my knitting career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...