Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mommy Track

I am a working mom to a wonderful 6 year-old daughter.  My job is demanding - in responsibility, in scope, and in hours.  My typical business trips are to New York, London, Mumbai, South Africa, Geneva, and Silicon Valley.  I often work with heavy hitters from the business, non-profit, and philanthropy sectors.  You might recognize some of their names - they appear in some of your major media outlets, or at the very least are highly Google-able.  I absolutely love my work.

But recently, I think I have come face-to-face with the limits of my ambition.  Travel is not nearly as attractive as it once was.  I am equally tempted by staying home.  In the last few weeks, I've been approached by some executive search firms for a few stunning opportunities.  One, in particular, based in London, was especially tempting.  But after a lovely lunch and talk with Dear Headhunter, I decided not to pursue it.  No one is more shocked than I am.  I have always, always wanted to live and work in Europe.  This job, in particular, was a dream. But ultimately, I realized, I do not want to travel more, or work longer hours, or be farther away from my family and support network of friends and routines.  Most of all, I did not want to give up precious time with my daughter or outsource my Mom responsibilities anymore than I already do.  I've Mommy-Tracked myself.

It's an unusual Mommy Track, to be sure.  I have not quit my job to stay at home (I couldn't anyway - no one else around here makes an income).  I did not cut back on my hours or shift positions.  I remain a pretty plugged-in, high-powered, intense-as-ever professional - and I intend to keep it that way.  I still have goals and dreams, including somehow, one day to perhaps live again in a great European city, even for a short time.  But at this time, these hopes, dreams, and ambitions have run smack into to my desire to be a mom - and recently, right here, for now, perhaps forever -  I chose the Mommy Track.

1 comment:

  1. dont feel guilty by any means! Relationships like those with your daughter are the most important things in life! way to stay ambitious though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...