Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hotel St. Regis, New York City

This week I had a work event at the Hotel St. Regis in New York.  This was the kind of event where super-wealthy (and super-generous, and super-committed - I do respect these guys) 1% bankers come to do good with their money.  It's not all bad -  despite my snarky edge. I'm psyched that they will give their time to hear a young woman activist from Pakistan talk about her organization - Aware Girls, founded when she was just 16 - that empowers the body, money, and voice of girls aged 12 to 29.  Go Gulali!  And if it inspires our uber-wealthy friends to open their minds and their wallets, while steak tartare with quail eggs is passed about, all the better.  I call that win-win - pass the prosecco!






But I captured this signage on the marble hallway wall:
<
Versailles
LouisXI
Library
>
Rambouillet
Matignon
Fontainebleau
Restrooms 
Coat Check

...and can't help but gag.  So pretentious. So contrived. So bizarre.  Are we in XVIIeme siecle France or 21st century New York?  Get a grip.  I love to get my fancy on. And you know I'm a francophile (the good parts). I enjoy my swank as much as the next girl, but this is not my kind of luxe.  Non merci. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...