Friday, March 2, 2012

Parenting. Tricky, tricky.

Why I LOVE Carolyn Hax....
"The child's needs have to be paramount--yet no child can be expected to be in complete control of all decisions, because what child is ready for that? Parents have to be in charge -and- leave no fingerprints. Tricky. "
This particular response took place during today's Live Chat on WaPo regarding a young son's declaration of "being a girl inside." Carolyn answered with such a thoughtful and moving sentiment, "I would give him a hug and say I love him, it's going to be okay, we'll figure this out together."  I mean, how simple and profound is this?   

And yet, this, as well as the first tenet can be applied to so often when parenting.  Kids want us to be in charge.  They need us to be in charge.  And yes, their needs are paramount.  But guiding them firmly through to adulthood, and leaving barely a trace of your hand, is such a delicate art.

I'd like to post both of these sentiments someplace I could read them everyday, as I practice the art of mothering my awesome kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...