Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Woohoo! Capital BikeShare, Washington, DC

It's finally here!  Capital BikeShare launched in DC on Monday!  This officially makes DC one of the coolest (and underrated) cities in the US.  It's not Seattle (coffee city), Portland (alt-hip city), San Francisco (gorgeous, hilly city), Boston (university city), New York (city of all cities)...but it is doing pretty well, and damn it, no one knows!

Capital BikeShare is one of the largest bike share programs in the country, and the only regional one (serving both DC and Arlington, Virginia).  It has 1100 bikes and 110 bike stations, spread across all 8 wards of the District, and into Crystal City, VA.  Fantastic!  If you're not familiar with Capital BikeShare, then perhaps you know Velib (Paris), Bixi (Montreal), Bici (Barcelona), and Barclay's Cycle Hire (London).  And if you don't know those, then think of Zipcar, only for bikes.

Essentially a fleet of bikes is available for member (or day) hire anytime and anywhere.  The system encourages short rides to keep the bikes in circulation - so for members (or day users), the first 30 minutes is free, with low, but increasing, fees for 30+ minutes.  I paid $50 for a year membership, and expect to take full advantage of the network of bike stations near my home, work and social hubs (Dupont, H Street NE, and Capitol Hill).

I took my first ride yesterday - from my doctor's appointment (using the nearest bike station at Dupont & Massachusetts NW) to my work (using the station at 14 & Rhode Island NW).  So, how'd it go? In a single word, GREAT!  In a few more words...


On the fab side...The station was easy to find and easy to use.  I slipped my member key in a bike dock, waited for the green lights, and  - PRESTO! -  pulled the bike from its secure lock.  The bike was solid - with 3-gears, sturdy hand breaks, a head light that goes on when you pedal, and easy-to use features (gears, breaks, seat releases for height adjustment).  There's a small front rack with bungee fastener to hold my medium-sized shoulder bag; and a chain guard, so I didn't need to roll up my pants - Nice design thinking, folks!  I set off on my way on DC's downtown streets, on a well-marked bike lane.    Arrived at my destination, found the station immediately, docked and went on my merry way.  The weather was beautiful, and I felt great.

On the blah side...Riding on downtown DC streets, even in the bike lane, was more nerve-wracking than I expected.  The heft of the bike made me feel steady, but also less solid - it was a bit harder to maneuver and balance maybe because I'm just weaker and older than your average bear.  I brought my own helmet  for the ride, and I can't imagine it any other way, but this could be a deterrent on a regular basis.  Finally, I walked 2.5 blocks to the station to pick up the bike, and then 3 blocks from the destination station to work, for a walking trip that would have been about 7 blocks direct.   Almost a wash as far as distance and time...tho' the whole experience made it less 'pedestrian', shall we say?  And obviously a slightly longer trip (10+ blocks) would make it all worth it! Station density will be a big issue - The Paris Velib system is about 5x bigger in bike/station density per capita.  The fewer barriers to entry the better, and that includes always having a station within 100-200 meters, or so.

Capital BikeShare is a rockin', innovative program with a lackluster name (they're experimenting with CaBi).  It has a triple-plus bottom line - for green transport, for active outdoor lifestyle, and for creating community in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...