Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gastropub: The Anchor and Hope


In search of a gastropub - a dark, woody pub with good pints, and strict attention to menu -  I first inquired at the front desk of this stodgy member's club where I'm staying.   I said I wanted a good gastropub - not too fancy, but with very good food.  To make my point,  I said I sought a pub where I could wear jeans and motorcycle boots.  He recommended here - Um...not really my style.  The people at the Landsdowne Club just don't get me.

Off I went to the London Eye before dinner, and taking a wrong turn out of the Waterloo Underground, I found myself on The Cut  - a very funky street, with a funky vibe, funky people, alt theater, and some good restaurants, both dive-y and not.   It was 6-ish, and The Anchor and Hope caught my eye because of the crowd getting drinks - lots of jeans, black, boots, and some graying hair.  I knew this is where I would eat tonight.  And so I did - around 9:30 - and I was not disappointed.


Tonight's meal:

- Beetroot, horseradish and watercress - A fantastic combination of  nippy and creamy horseradish, gently bittersweet watercress greens; and sweet, cool, tender beets
- Beef Provencal with potato cake cooked in duckfat - A rather heavy dish (at that late hour, the busy microkitchen had run out of my first two choices) - but the beef was ultra tender, if not a little dark browny-beefy, and the potato cake ought to be first crowned by Le Cordin Bleu and then made illegal by the National Health Service
- Bombadier Ale (Bedford) - A bit sweet, but with a nice weight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...