Wednesday, May 12, 2010

La Nouvelle Observatrice jaunts to London

So here I am on a brief work trip to London, and partly because of the work nature of the trip, and partly because my thoughts haven't settled, I have no coherent and collective observations to make.  But here are a few random ones:

- There is a new 'coalition government" (the first since the 1940's) - Conservative and Liberal Democrats.  Strange bedfellows, but seems like what was needed to form a collective majority rule after a fractured, divided election.  Cameron and Clegg are apparently getting on like old chums, calling each other by first name, sharing jokes, and finishing each other's sentences.  I find it interesting (not good or bad per se) that 10 Downing Street changes hands in an immediate transition of power.   Maybe this new coalition will be the new meaning of "neo-con."  We'll see.

- I arrived in London early morning, and went immediately to the private members' club where I am staying.  Desperate for a coffee to begin my day (before the shower and the meetings), I joined my colleague M for a late breakfast (930am), and was promptly turned away for wearing jeans.   Well, I understand and  respect the rules; I appreciate formality and a nod to appropriate attire, and am scandalized myself these days by "grown-up"kids wearing flip-flops for nearly every occasion....but it did seem like a bit much. Not to split hairs, but my jeans were dark wash and boot cut, I had on black boots with heals, and a light linen blazer.  It wasn't the dinner  hour (with jacket and tie) for goodness sake.  And it was well past the prime breakfast hour (7:30-9:00), with perhaps 1-2 other tables finishing up, and the waitstaff was even breaking down the dining room settings between meals.  Welcome to Olde London.  Give me a stodgy break.  It's 2010...this is for dinosaurs!

- Following that experience, I had a fantastic meeting with Comic Relief.  Their offices were the opposite of stodgy - red  and modern with a very open flow.  Their philanthropy principles are rock solid, and I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation  - RG, director there, was pretty smashing.  At the end of the meeting, we ended warmly, and he said I was very "lively" which was clearly a compliment (and one that was well-recived and mutually felt).  But I do know that I have never ended a meeting with that sort of  immediate positive feedback, and "lively" no less.  I'll take it, and stash it away for future demoralized swings.

- I do not know London well at all.  For all my travel, including 5-8 trips to  London (but of 2 days at a time at most), I really can't connect the city, nor do I feel particularly "at home" and familiar, as I do in so many other places (even places I've never been, like landing in Rwanda or Guatemala for the first time).  Still, I enjoy the tube, and the taxis, and the international tone and energy of the city.  Would like to feel more grounded here.  There was a bit of a fantasy talk about me spending about a month here this summer, with Dear Daughter, to support our Trust work.  It was pie-in-the-sky - but I would be interested in making it happen....perhaps...perchance...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...