Friday, November 5, 2010

An Ideal Husband

No plans for tonight, so I considered either returning to some of my favorite places from my last two London trips in spring and summer or exploring some new ones.  I decided to get out there in new territory, but was not ambitious or energetic enough for Brick Lane, as I hoped, so I decided to buy some half-price theatre tickets.  I'm in London after all.

I found a nice bargain for the newly produced Oscar Wilde play, An Ideal Husband, at the Vaudeville Theatre on The Strand in London's West End.  It officially opens with press night next week on November 10.  But the soft opening gives the performers the chance to try out their energy and timing on actual London theatregoers and hapless tourists.

It was thoroughly enjoyable.  The witty banter and clever observations on social rituals, morals, hypocrisy, gender roles, and marriage were brilliant, though required rapt attention and a quick mind to catch it at its best.  I had limitations on both this evening after a long week.  This was coupled with a warm, crowded and cramped theatre had me nodding off during the first act, and trying to ignore my mild discomfort in the second act.

Actors Samantha Bond, Eliot Cowan, Alexander Hanson and Rachel Stirling worked well together on stage.  Samantha Bond gets top billing in her portrayal of Mrs. Cheveley, and she does indeed likably play this unlikeable character.  Her co-star, and real life husband, Alexander Hanson, plays Sir Chiltern in wonderful existential comic angst.  But Eliot Cowan's timing and brilliant physical acting, playing Lord Goring, absolutely stole the show for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...