Friday, January 1, 2010

Design Within Reach (TM)

I have long been a fan of design - specifically industrial design.  I love when form meets function.  I love when the design reflects an a-ha! moment.  I like when a product is stripped of bells and whistles to its most core competency, and is the better for it.  I like when a new design or idea changes the game, and sets the standard, not because it is pretentious, but because it is smart.  I have a running list of such things.  Here are some.


Ikea PS Vallo Watering Can - It's green in several ways - first the garden, of course, but second for its lower impact on the environment during shippping and transport.  *So* good for freight because they fit inside one another.  Just think of all that needless volume of traditional watering cans shipped across the country (and the world) to stores.  Makes me shudder.

Ben Franklin Busybody  This makes my list because it is simple, low-tech, invented long ago, and still useful.  I don't really know why this hasn't caught on more in townhomes - historic or not.

Stokke High Chair I love this because unlike typical baby stuff, it is not cutesy and it is not overly specialized to a highly specific, and utterly ridiculous baby function or brief phase of a child's life (e.g. the "necessity" of having 3 or more strollers because each one meets different needs at different times)

Toyota Pruis 3G - A gamechanger - the rest of the market had to adapt.  I think the solar roof in the newest Prius is really cool.

iPhone 3G/iPod Touch Another gamechanger.  Some of those apps are mind-blowing.

Oxo Kitchen Utensils/ Good Grips Universal design in everyday tools for everyone.  Duh.

Handcrank Radio   Simply low tech, utterly practical.  I love when an innovation echoes the past.

Mini Maglite I have always loved candle mode.  So handy, and yet surprisingly few people know about it.

2 comments:

  1. I am 100% with you on this! Donald Norman's "The Design of Everyday Things" was one of my favourite books when I worked at Reiter's; I still don't know how I came to not buy a copy, I suppose because I just thumbed through it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Must* get that book! How cool. I love design!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...