Thursday, January 14, 2010

So much information your head will explode, too!

I like data, metrics, and analysis even though they can make my brain short circuit when I'm in way over my head (which can happen pretty quickly).  This is *so* cool - a *fully* interactive mapping of Netflix rentals by city, by zip, by film, by most to least popular!  This is not labeling something interactive when it's not.  Scroll over a specific zip code, sort the movies, check out a particular movie's popularity (Milk, Star Trek, Julie and Julia) .  Check out the distinct patterns highlighted for Mad Men, Obsessed and Last Chance Harvey - what's going on there?  I could play with this all damn day, but I have to work my real job.  Seriously though the data set and presentation is just mind-blowing!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, fascinating. I looked at the various zip codes where I've lived or worked around DC, but I'm not sure how much I can make out of the differences.

    But when I look at the maps by movie... Well, I can certainly jump to some conclusions given the relative popularity of Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Torino, Doubt, Milk (!!), and Revolutionary Road (!!!) as compared to Seven Pounds, The Soloist, Righteous Kill, Pride and Glory, Lakeview Terrace, Obsessed, Tyler Perry anything, and Not Easily Broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demographics is just fascinating. In another life, with a little tweak to my brain, it would be cool to be a demographer. Of course, there's the whole business/marketing angle, but when I worked in sub-Sahran Africa, I could read the national Demographic and Health Survey reports all day - and wished I had that data set, and knew how to really work it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...