Sunday, January 10, 2010

Destinations

The NY Times published one of its annual features, "The 31 Places to Go in 2010."  This year, of most interest (to me at least) - Patagonia Wine Country, Copenhagen (a possibility, as long as my friend, Helle, lives there), Damascus, and Norway (fjords!).  Of note on their list, and where I've already been...and loved...Mumbai and Cape Town (World Cup 2010!).

However I have my own list of - hoped for or planned - destinations this year.  Beirut (on last year's NYTimes list- oooops, now security risks would keep it off) and Paris (40th!), and Pittsburgh (work) are sure things. Canada (visit Carla?) and Vermont (still hoping one day to take the train to Burlington) are good potential getaway possibilities.  And if I'm a good mom, Orlando, FL for DisneyWorld  - but it's up for debate whether I'm good-enough mom to get that together.

These days, my preference is definitely for destinations that don't involve air travel or change of time zones.

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend Vermont, and the grrlz could probably give you a ton of useful tips for visiting Burlington.

    Scandinavia appealed to me too suddenly last year, for no reason I can really explain. I keep trying to screw my courage up to venture to India; it's such a fascinating country, and I'd feel a tiny bit as if I were reconecting with my Dad in going there. And Chile has seemed fascinating ever since I worked on a book about it. (The latter is true of Armenia, too.)

    Of their list? Macedonia and Montenegro appeal, the latter maybe more than the former. Istanbul? Yes. Vancouver? Yes. Nepal? In fact, probably so. Colombia, Central America, most of Southeast Asia? Not really. South Africa, Brazil, South Korea? Not feeling it. Las Vegas? No!

    This thumbnail reaction brought to you by Bikano's Gur Rewri ("the Winter Treat"), the colour black, and the number 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have friends to visit in Copenhagen and Kathmandu. I loved hiking around Las Vegas - amazing! - The Strip, not so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...