Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cy Twombly Ceiling @ the Louvre



Cy Twombly has done a ceiling at the Louvre.  It's permanent, it's contemporary, it's a huge honor for him.  Trouble is, I'm so not a Twombly fan.  I first saw his work in the Philadelphia Museum of Art - described as scribbles on canvas, and was immediately unimpressed.  While I can get into some abstract art - Rothko and de Koonig among others - I think Twombly is a twit who is tricking us all.

Today's ceiling did not fail to underwhelm me. It looks like a kids bedroom mural, at best. Admittedly, it was cool upon entry to the room of Greek artifacts - busts, bronzes pieces, etc - and see such bold bright blue and celestial circles.  But really it's poorly crafted, and quite messy (and not in a cool conceptual way).  The description even says his ceiling was "realized" by X painter and Y architect, so all Twombly did was think up this mess.   It's just annoying that he has such billing and such recognition as this by the Louvre.

In the article link above, Twombly, himself, seems to question what all the fuss is about.  So maybe he's just as mystified by the art establishment's fawning over him, as I am.

Here I am am "admiring" the Twombly ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...