Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mon petit appartement à Paris

I have a little studio appartement in the Marais (temporarily, at least, but I can pretend).  It's just lovely, completely mignon.  I love the way, when walking through this lively quartier in the 3eme, you almost miss the small blue door on Rue de Barbette.  But there it is, if you are looking, a heavy, wooden blue door and the blue and white address numerals above it  - '20.'   Upon entering the petit code on the keypad, a small click sounds, and I push it open, to reveal one of Paris's many small courtyards of flats.  Down a narrow passage, and past another keypad, I walk four flights up a tiny, narrow, winding wooden stairway.  Its floorboards are worn, its gorgeous banister spindles have been lovingly turned to reveal just a bit more detail to this otherwise modest space.  Each small landing is punctuated by two doors, behind which are other petits appartements à Paris.  I've always loved the way the stairwell lights here are timed for say 3 minutes - just enough to get up or down, without wasting electricity, and on each landing is, a small switch to turn the light on again and reset the timer, should it catch you in the dark halfway up.

My appartement is small - but it is simple, spare, modern, clean, comfortable and has everything one needs.  Plenty of light from interesting dormer windows, and a sweet sleeping loft.

I've bought some fruit, yogurt, cheese, coffee, Nutella and Petit Beurre so I'm set for petit dejeuner tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...