Friday, April 23, 2010

The Players Lounge, Anacostia

(c) 2010 Vegitect
I really like this photo.  I like the light and the lines, and the way each are reflected on both the wall and the floor.  I like the grid and the grit - I'm somewhat partial to a bit of grit.  I like the venue and the location of that venue -  and all that it represents.  The Player's Lounge, pictured here, is a seedy lounge/bar/restaurant located within DC's down-and-out Ward 8.  The Anacostia neighborhood in DC has old, historic, now dilapidated, houses, and once had a heyday of African-American music, culture and urban history.  But like many things in DC, it was ravaged by drugs, crime, and violence - nearly a lost generation.  To boot, DC's former and infamous mayor and current City Councilmember (?!?), Marion Barry - also ravaged by crack and crime - used to hang here.  There is a lot going on in this picture - artistically and contextually - both visible and invisible.  I also like the photog, Vegitect, whom I credit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...