Thursday, October 7, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Dear daughter and I were having an early morning conversation today while snuggling in bed before facing the day.  Lights still out, shades still drawn, talking in soft voices - a wonderful moment that I hope to preserve in my heart because she is growing so fast (It's not a cliche, I swear!).  We were talking about what she wants to be when she grows up:

Dear Daughter: "If I can't be a rock star, I want to be a fashion model. If I can't be a fashion model, I want to be a detective. If I can't be a detective, I want to be a hair stylist."
Mama: "How about a teacher?
DD: "Yeah, if not a hair stylist, then a teacher."
Mama:
"How about president of [my Non-Profit Organization]?
DD:
"No, by the time I'm working you'll be retired."
M:
"How about President of the United States?"
DD:
"No, too hard."
M:
"How about a judge?"
DD:
"No because if my friends were having a challenge, and I liked them all, I couldn't decide."
M:
"How about a doctor? Or a nurse?"
DD:
"I don't want to see naked children," she says with a grossed-out look on her face in the dim light.
M:
"How about a scientist?"
DD: "No, that's not me. I like fancy stuff."


She is nothing, if not a marvel.  She knows herself, and I can't say I disagree with her assessments.  I will love watching her grow up.

2 comments:

  1. She is a very cool young lady: smart, independent, thoughtful, self-aware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we both know the rest of that..."like her mom." :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...