Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Words We Love Too Much

The NYTimes has a fabulous blog on English grammar, usage, and style.  This post on Words We Love Too Much discusses the Times' overuse and misuse of the word "epononymous."  Epononymous is hardly a word that rolls off the tongue, and it certainly slows down the fingers on the keyboard, yet the Times used this highfalutin word 64 times in the last year!

Highfalutin, on the other hand, does seem more commonly used in every-week-or-so language, yet I certainly had no clue how to spell it until I just checked.  The more commonly used "highbrow" is probably in daily use.

I love words, language, grammar, and punctuation (the last being my weakness).  One of my favorite books is Eats Shoots and Leaves  on how punctuation use and misuse can really alter the meaning and intent of a written sentence, often to humorous (to a nerd) effect.
Eats Shoots and Leaves has been adapted to a younger audience, intended for those in grades 1 to 3.  Here, "Eat here, and get gas," or "Eat here and get gas"  really illustrates the critical importance of proper comma use!

2 comments:

  1. "Eponymous"; you have an extra syllable there, m'dear. :-)

    One of my bêtes noires, inherited from a former partner, is "enormity". So many people think it means "something huge" or "the property of being huge". Popular mis-usage has forced dictionaries to list that as an alternate meaning, but in truth it means "something hugely evil or wicked"--hardly the same thing.

    But my true linguistic foe is the eggcorn. I detest them and attempt to root them out wherever I encounter them. With, probably, the same general effect as my late father's crusade against purple loosestrife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this would explain why I tripped when typing eponymous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...