Thursday, March 11, 2010

Midday in Beirut

After a short, but deep and heavy, nap at midday, I went to do some chawarma research.  A walk up, down and around the hilly streets of my hotel neighborhood, Achrafieh, I found myself at the highly recommended (by two trusted and independent chawarma sources), Boubouffe.

The sandwich was excellent - hot and succulent.  My Pepsi hit the spot.  When traveling  - tired, hot and jet lagged - nothing beats the Pepsi/Coca-Cola combination of cold, sugar, and caffeine in the mid afternoon.  Together, with a cup of strong coffee in the morning, and a glass of wine with dinner, it's my secret jet lag remedy.

I found myself wishing again that I could flow as effortlessly between French, English, and Arabic, as so many people here seem to.  I must say, I love the way ink flows from a pen in Arabic - all right to left, curly and beautiful.  It is not as easy on the ears as it is on the eyes - it sounds a bit harsh and guttural.  That said, having witnessed a few traffic confrontations, it seems to me it would be immensely colorful and satisfying to tell someone off in Arabic.  As in, "You can take your chawarma and stick it up your butt.  And while you're at it pour some Pepsi on it so it's nice and fizzy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...