Monday, June 7, 2010

More Massimo Vignelli - and a Contemporary Iconic Graphics Design Challenge!

Last week, I blogged about the updated NYC subway map, and referenced the 1972 version by Massimo Vignelli.  I enjoyed his rendition because of it's simple, conceptual, modernist interpretation - while acknowledging that it might actually not be so pragmatic (kind of important for a subway map, and should be a hallmark of good design).

Well, today, I learned that Vignelli also did all the DC Metro signage  (1968) (those pylons with the big M), as well as the National Parks Service publications program (1977) (those familiar maps and tri-fold brochures for everything from the the Grand Canyon to Great Falls to Independence Mall).  It seems like he had quite a hey-day from 1968 to 1977 on big city, big works projects.  In many ways, these symbols have become instantly recognizable and iconic.

So here's my 2010 Design Challenge -  All this got me thinking about what's present-day visionary, so I'm going to challenge myself (and my readers :-) to find some contemporary graphics design indicative of our times.  In many ways, to become iconic, they must stand the test of time, and become synonymous and recognizable as part of its brand identity.  So while I'd like to limit my challenge to 21st century - 10 years in already!), I will go as early as designs from 1995 and later.  I realize some of my first thoughts for this challenge are disqualified because they pre-date my contemporary criteria - for example Apple and Nike logos. Also, because really I have no idea what I am talking about, I'm going to limit the challenge to the graphics space (logos, typeface, communications, branding); rather than the products space (ex: iPod, Prius, VW bug). And this makes me think that new-retro - e.g. the Mini Cooper and Vespa - shouldn't count).  It would be nice to have both a private/corporate category  as well as a public/ non-profit category (museums, non-profits, fed and gov projects, etc.).   Can you tell I'm making this up as I type?  Fun!!

P.S. I know people way more qualified than I do this for a living, and that there are awards, magazines, and museums devoted to all this.  This challenge is for me (and anyone else who wants to weigh in) to think about what's modern, iconic, and visionary - and yes, I think I'm more interested in graphics for the non-profit and civic space than big corporate brands with lots of $$ to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...