Friday, June 4, 2010

World Cup 2010

Hurray World Cup! - the truly global sports event that comes along but every 4 years.  Hurray South Africa!  First African nation to host this event, despite the continent's absolute fever, affinity and aptitude for the sport.

Admittedly, this entry makes me seem perhaps more feverish than I actually am for soccer/fooball/futbal.  I'm not a true fanatic about any sport. And in fact, I would get quickly busted if pushed to any sort of knowledge of the rules/regs of the game, team trivia (or even team names for that matter - did someone say Arsenal? Real Madrid?), hot players (how 'bout that Pele - oops, ancient history! - maybe Beckham (b. 1975, practically an old man) or Ronaldo?  But, I recognize hot when I see it) or great moments in sports history.  But I am easily caught up in the historical sports moment - be it Venus facing off her sister Serena in the finals at Centre Court at Wimbledon, Michael Phelps swimming for his record gold, and yes, that World Cup final, semi-final, quarter-final match.

Despite my limited depth here, I do have a special appreciation for the game.  I love that it is played all over the world, and is accessible to all.  I have seen soccer played by kids on the side of the road, barefoot, with a makeshift, heavily duct-taped ball in Mexico.  I have watched people gather around a tiny, black-and white television full of the fuzz of bad reception outside a kiosk shop or watering-hole-cum-former-shipping container to watch the Africa Cup final in Malawi.  I adore the fans' undying allegiance to their team.  And while I find the whole hooliganism thing a turn-off, I do appreciate their passionate, vehement - ok, alcohol-fueled - raucous energy they bring to a match.  I also enjoy the Adidas brand's longstanding affiliation with the sport - co-branded practically when nobody else was looking.  (Adidas = "All Day I Drink And Smoke, "All Day I Dream About Sex."Am I the only one who remembers that?)

So many sports are nation/culture-defined.  Cricket? - So British, or really, more Indian these days!  Curling? - I think Nordic Vikings.  Baseball?  US, plus some  Cuba and Japan (how random is that?)!  Football? - Now that's completely American!  Rugby?  UK and Australia.  Hockey?  US and Canada.  Other sports are obscure, elite, and require special equipment.  Tennis - rackets and whites.  Golf - a set of archaic clubs and acres of rolling hills of manicured greens (environmental nightmare).  But soccer - of the people, by the people, for the people - has low barriers to entry, cuts across the class divide, and as best as I can tell, is played pretty much everywhere.

So World Cup is upon us - and I will be following. At least as much as someone who calls herself La Nouvelle Observatrice, and whose long-term plan is to give Nigella Lawson a run for her money, can be expected to follow these sporting thingies.

2 comments:

  1. And in fact, I would get quickly busted if pushed to any sort of knowledge of the rules/regs of the game, team trivia, hot players, or great moments in sports history.

    OK, we'll make it easy on you: identify at least six of the eight famous faces in the new Nike advert.

    And I'll give you two for free (Homer Simpson and Kobe Bryant ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...