Wednesday, June 23, 2010

OMG. Hold me back...the iPhone 4 is here!

I like design.  I like tech.   I like sexy.  But for years now, despite the drool, I have not yet caved into buying an iPhone.  I suppose this is for a few reasons.

First, I'm not really an early adopter.  I like to follow what's going on, but I can be a bit of a skeptic, so I wait to see if the hype actually delivers.  I also like when those other early adopters pay the price and suffer the bugs while I wait it out.

Second, I'm too cheap.  I wouldn't describe myself as frugal.  I like stuff.  I like nice stuff.  I spend money, sometimes lots, sometimes too much.  I'm not typing this while lying on my mattress stuffed with $100's for my "rainy day fund."  Alas, not.  But I do feel a little better about myself when I resist the temptation, when I don't spend frivolously, when I delay my gratification, when I anticipate... when, at last,  I somehow make a calculation - both financial and psychological, and probably more psychological than financial - that I am finally ready to make the purchase.

And finally, I wait, and wait, and wait, and procrastinate.  First, for my stupid Verizon contract to end (October, then January for my second line).  Then, to see if Apple will open up its exclusive contract with AT&T (it did not).  Then, for the announcement that the iPhone 4 was being released (June), with the all important multitask features, and whatever other (smart) bells and whistles it boasts.

All that has come to pass, and the iPhone 4 is in stores tomorrow.  The reviews are excellent.  I completely [HEART] David Pogue, who loves the iPhone 4, and if he told me to drink the KoolAid, I totally would.  Here's a David Pogue NYTimes video review of iPhone vs Android phones - this is like delicious smut to me!

So my purchase is imminent, but not quite immediate.  I'm sort of waiting for my next paycheck (June 30) or the one after that (July 15).  And I kind of can't decide if I will buy before or after my Europe trip (July 14-19) so I can get used to a new phone and new apps and new plan....But in any case, I'm getting an iPhone, at last! and really, really, really soon...and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...