Monday, December 7, 2009

Distance meme (just because)

With thanks to Hiking Viking for this meme...

Farthest North? - Stockholm, Sweden.  It was on June 21, no less, a gorgeous light-filled night.  The Swedes were out and about and quite joyful.  I remember visiting several homes and offices, and thinking that Ikea *really* is Swedish.  There were lots of Volvo's and Saab's on the road.

Farthest South? - Cape of Good Hope, South Africa.  A lovely national park extends along the point; the Indian and the Atlantic Oceans meet and mix.  That day, I saw two whales breaching in one of the bays/coves along the coast. 

Farthest East? - Beijing, China.  What can I say?  It blew my mind.  It was quite the cosmopolitan city.  I was not quite prepared for it to be another New York or London (tho' far less charming).  I expected more of a Mumbai, and it most certainly was not.  G, in all her profundity, made the best observation of all, "Mama, it doesn't look like China, it looks like New York, except for the people.  The people look like China."

Farthest West? - Honolulu, HI.  Even though I was a teenager, I barely remember it.  I was struck by how far away it is.  That, and the price of Corn Flakes.  Everyone goes to work early, to be in touch with the mainland - but beachbound by afternoon.  It was so long ago, that working my more recent memory, my first inclination was to put Portland, OR

Highest Mountain -  Seen - Mt. Kilimanjaro (and will climb in 2020! - my 50th b-day; and G's 16th); Climbed?  Not sure, but I'm quite sure it wasn't a name-brand peak. 

Hottest Place - I'm sure I've been in triple digits somewhere in the Sahel - Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso - but dry heat is fine by me.  Absolutely most god-awful hot was in Dar Es Salaam, TZ - dreadful, hot, humidity, a drippy face. No doubt though, and no exaggeration, I've been equally hot in DC

Coldest Place - Probably South Hadley, MA where I went to college - I recall biting, bone-chilling New England winters, and my first frozen lake.

Personal Notes: I've been to 42 countries on 4 continents; never to South America, Australia, or Antarctica :-)  I've lived (more than a month in one place) in France, Switzerland, Senegal, Cote d'Ivoire, Tanzania, Guatemala, and the US.  I've been to 23 states, I think.  I'm tired of traveling - not done with it - just a bit weary; I'd never complain about it and I'd be miserable if forced to stop traveling.  Airline travel has become a punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...