Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Unstuck

Sometimes it feels like things are stuck, no movement, no momentum, no traction.  Some things got unstuck today, and I'm happy about that.  I had a little of work energy today - after a long stretch of being uninspired, unmotivated, and unengaged - so perhaps the little bit of my input got some return.

In any case, I'm happy that:

  1. I finally reconciled the $4,700 cash advance I had for my India trip.  This had been hanging over my head, as I had taken gads of money to our workshop to reimburse the 20+ participants in USD, without dealing with the cost and trouble of international wire transfers.  But I hadn't submitted the reconciliation, and I feared the accounting would not square up.  Plus it was just overwhelming to begin that accounting process.  But it all worked out - less $48, which I probably spent on beer and chocolate! - and I might have  few hanging receipts out there that square it completely.  Phew!
  2. We got the conference space at the Pew Charitable Trust for our February meeting.  This is an awesome space, and a fantastic affiliation, and I'm pleased to have*finally* a venue secured.  But most of all, the logistics team working on this was coming up dry, and starting to suggest we hold the meeting at some uninspired downtown hotel.  It just did not sit right with me - I knew we had to pursue a few more avenues to get the right thing.  It's something about trusting my gut.  My instinct is not far off, but too often, I give in.  [I should write another blog about instinct and intuition (and ignoring it) because there is curious observation and insight here, too.]
  3. I had good meetings with team members.  It has been a while since I felt engaged with the team, and I knew I needed productive individual discussions with several people in my group.  They needed my support, and I needed to give my input.  Meetings went well with SS (returning from maternity leave), HD (who was off track, and needed some steering and support), and LF (who is just plain random without a little oversight!).
  4. Finally, back to the beginning of my day, I arrived at the office on time today!  After a few too many occasions letting my arrival at the office slip later and later (I was just slinking in at 10 or later), and feeling quite unaccountable, I arrived at 9 this morning. It just felt good to be present and accounted for.  This is obviously compounded by the delicate dynamic of being in management - which gives me lots of flexibility on one end, but also means I set the tone, and I was slipping just a little much into the flexibility side of the balance.
Anyway, a good day.  You show up, you get to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...